Purpose & Responsibilities
The academic governance of the Schulich School of Business is administered by Faculty Council and a group of standing committees that assist Faculty Council in carrying out its mandate. Committees of Council include:
- Executive Committee
- Master’s Admissions Committee
- Nominating Committee
- Research and Library Committee
- Students Affairs Committee
- Tenure & Promotions Committee
- Tenure & Promotions Appeals Committee
- Committees responsible for the faculty’s undergraduate, master’s and doctoral degree programs
The standing committees have specified representation and responsibilities. The principal task of Faculty Council is to make decisions regarding the academic governance of the faculty. Motions to be debated by faculty council are typically brought forward by one of its standing committees.
Subject to approval of Senate, of which Council is a Sub-Committee, Council shall be composed of:
- All full-time tenured or tenure stream members of Faculty (including cross-appointed members of Faculty)
- the Executive Officer, the Executive Director of Student Services and International Relations, and the Head Librarian of the Bronfman Business Library
- Emeriti faculty (retirees) for the year during which they hold a teaching and/or administrative appointment
- Elected representatives of the undergraduate programs (four BBA/iBBA students), masters programs (seven MBA/ IMBA students) and doctoral program (1 Ph.D. student)
- 1 alumni representative, appointed by the alumni association annually
Ex-Officio Non-Voting Members of the Council
- 1 member of the Faculty support staff to be elected annually by the support staff
- All Confidential Professionals and Managers (CPB)
- All Adjunct Professors
- All CLA’s
- 1 member of the Part time faculty
- All Executives-in-residence
- Executive Director of Schulich Executive Education Centre
- The President, Vice-Presidents, and Associate Vice-Presidents of the University
- The Deans and Principals of other Faculties of the University
- Chair and the Secretary of the Senate, and the Secretary of the Council
Quorum: 30 Voting Members
Meeting Schedule: The Faculty Council normally meets seven times in the academic year, and normally meets on a Friday commencing at 11:30 a.m.. From time to time, the Executive Committee may set an alternative meeting time and day. Proper notice is communicated to all members of Council at least six days in advance of all meetings. Normally, the calendar of meetings is communicated to the members on or before the first meeting of Council in September. Special Council meetings can be called at anytime with a minimum of three days notice. Special meetings can be called by the Chair of Council, the Dean of the Faculty, or at the specific request duly submitted to the Chair by no fewer than 20 per cent of Council members. Communication to members is normally accomplished via the Faculty’s electronic communication system and emails. Regular mail is frequently employed but not required. Meetings normally last for two hours, unless the agenda clearly indicates an alternative termination time as determined by the Executive Committee, or a pertinent resolution is passed during the meeting to extend or adjourn early a meeting of Council.
Meeting Cancellation: If the Executive Committee determines that there is insufficient business ready for consideration by Council, it may agree not to hold a regular meeting.
Meeting Agenda: The Agenda of each meeting is set by the Executive Committee and is published or circulated to each member of Council no later than six days prior to the meeting for which notice has been given. Accidental omission of notice to a member shall not invalidate a meeting which has otherwise been duly convened. The Agenda normally takes the following order:
- Chairperson’s Remarks
- Dean’s Remarks
- Enquiries and Communications
- Ph.D/GBC/UBC Initiatives and Communications
- Committee generated motions
- Other Business
- Consent Agenda
- Minutes of the previous meeting
- Other consent agenda items
The Executive Committee exercises its authority to alter the agenda of each meeting in order to prioritize matters coming before the Council; the Chair can alter the agenda while a meeting is in progress to preserve priorities, except with the objection of two-thirds of members present and voting. The notice of a meeting may identify items to be dealt with by consent. A consent agenda item is deemed to have been approved at the meeting without debate and vote unless, prior to the commencement of the meeting, one member of Council advised the Chair and Secretary of a request to debate it and vote on it. The minutes of a previous meeting are normally placed in the consent agenda, as well as simple items such as course name changes, course short descriptions to be inserted in the academic handbook, and other items, as deemed appropriate by the Executive Committee.
Conduct of Proceedings: Council meetings debate issues and vote on motions. All motions are first introduced by a mover and then seconded by another member of Council before they can be debated. In cases not covered by the rules and procedures outlined here, meetings shall be conducted in conformity with the rules set by the University Senate Rules and Procedures.
Chair: Prof. James McKellar
Vice Chair: Prof. David Johnston
Support: Emily Rush, Office of the Associate Dean – Academic
Meeting Dates Meeting Time Agenda Package Additional Document Friday, October 5, 2018 11:30 - 13:00 Meeting Cancelled Nominating Slate as of October 5 2018 Friday, November 9, 2018 11:30 - 13:00 Agenda Package Friday, December 14, 2018 10:30 - 12:00 Agenda Package Friday, February 8, 2019 11:30 - 13:00 Meeting Cancelled Friday, March 15, 2019 11:30 - 13:00 Agenda Package Friday, April 26, 2019 11:30 - 13:00 Agenda Package Friday, May 31, 2019 11:30 - 13:00 Agenda Package
To view the full meeting packages, please contact email@example.com.
Date Agenda & Minutes May 25, 2007 Agenda & Minutes April 27, 2007 Agenda & Minutes March 16, 2007 Agenda & Minutes February 9, 2007 Cancelled December 8, 2006 Agenda & Minutes November 22, 2006 - Special Meeting Agenda & Minutes November 10, 2006 Cancelled October 6, 2006 Agenda & Minutes September 25, 2006 - Special Meeting Minutes Only Date Agenda & Minutes May 26, 1989 Minutes Only April 28, 1989 Agenda Only March 31, 1989 Agenda & Minutes March 10, 1989 Agenda & Minutes January 27, 1989 Agenda & Minutes December 16, 1988 Agenda & Minutes November 25, 1988 Agenda & Minutes October 28, 1988 Agenda & Minutes September 30, 1988 Agenda & Minutes